There are several great reasons why people might want to coat their garage floor (and if you’re here, you may have your own):
- Protection: A garage floor coating can provide valuable protection against stains, spills, and other forms of damage like cracks and chipping that can occur due to daily wear and tear or chemicals and road salt exposure. Ultimately, protecting your concrete can make it last longer and save you money in the long-run.
- Aesthetics: A garage floor coating can enhance the appearance of a garage and make it look cleaner, brighter, and more attractive! Various colors and finishes are available to choose from, including slip-resistance and flakes or patterns.
- Maintenance: A garage floor coating can make cleaning and maintenance easier and more efficient by preventing dirt, dust, and debris from getting embedded in the floor and practically eliminating stains. Mop or sweep with ease.
- Safety: A garage floor coating can improve the safety of the garage by providing a slip-resistant surface that reduces the risk of accidents and injuries.
- Durability: A garage floor coating can increase the lifespan of a concrete garage floor and prevent it from deteriorating due to exposure to chemicals, oil, and other substances commonly found in garages.
Garage Choices: What Is Garage Floor Paint?
Garage floor paint is a traditional latex coating that’s applied to the surface of a garage floor to enhance its appearance and protect it from damage. It’s intended to be durable and resistant to chemicals, oil, and other substances commonly found in garages.
Most garage floor paints are bought over-the-counter from big box stores and applied by homeowners. It’s inexpensive, easy to apply, and can make garage floors look much nicer and cleaner than bare concrete, for a time…
The hard truth is –– at Top Coat Concrete, we rip out garage floor paint all the time!
Garage floor paints simply do not last, and we work with many homeowners who are disappointed with the results of their floor paint even less than a year after it was installed!
Setting aside our own real-world experiences with garage paint, here are some features:
What are the benefits of using a garage floor paint?
The only real benefit of using a garage floor paint is its price. It’s a cheaper material to buy compared to industry-leading polyaspartic coatings, and you don’t need any experience to apply it. Many homeowners can turn garage floor paint into an easy weekend project.
But as you know, you get what you pay for.
What are the downsides of using garage floor paint?
Where to begin?
- No longevity: Garage floor paint won’t last nearly as long as polyaspartic coatings. Garage floor paint will peel or chip within a few years of regular use.
- Poor adhesion: If hot car tires are sitting on the floor, it will rapidly delaminate at those locations, and even regular walking over garage floor paint will cause it to fade and begin to peel or chip.
- Trust us: you’ll be deeply dissatisfied with how your garage floor paint looks within just a few years.
- Can’t fix cracked or pitted areas. Unlike epoxy or polyaspartic coatings, cracks or abrasions that develop underneath floor paint can’t be fixed well.
- Garage floor paint can actually be MORE slippery than bare concrete. DIY garage paint can actually create a MORE hazardous space in your home.
How are polyaspartic coatings superior to floor paint?
Polyaspartic coatings are the leading garage floor coating for homeowners and businesses alike. Whether you’re putting a coating in your hobby workshop space or putting down something durable in your commercial garage, polyaspartic is a great option.
Polyaspartic coatings provide a heavy, durable, and flexible coating that will resist the most common problems with garage floors, leading to a great-looking space that will perform for years to come (and save you money on costly repairs!)
- Polyaspartic coatings are completely scratch-resistant.
- Polyaspartic coatings maintain their color and are UV stable, meaning they won’t turn yellow over time and exposure to sun. This is critical in garages where sunlight comes in throughout much of the day.
- Polyaspartic coatings are guaranteed to bond and will not chip or peel, even with exposure to hot tires. Polyaspartic coatings were literally designed for garages!
- Polyaspartic coatings are salt and oil resistant. Wipe up spills as easily as can be, with no staining as with bare concrete. In places like Pittsburgh, where road salt is common during much of the year, this is an important protective feature.
- Polyaspartic coatings are 100% antibacterial, creating a seamless surface where bacteria and pathogens can’t hide. As a result, polyaspartic coatings are great for kitchens and even more sterile environments.
Get a Good Concrete Coating The First Time With Polyaspartic by Top Coat
We’re Pittsburgh’s choice in concrete floor coatings, helping homeowners and business owners like you get great floor coatings and great service.
We pride ourselves in fast and efficient installations that will leave your garage or basement concrete floor looking incredible for years to come.
A safer space, a better looking space – that’s Top Coat Concrete.
Call or email for a free quote (and free advice) on a garage floor coating in Pittsburgh today.